This year has been full of many ups and downs for me. I have done a lot of of experimenting and trying new things but, ultimately got nowhere with my 1st idea. Despite all of this, I have however, grown as an artist and an individual and am very proud of how I've pushed through.
My intention has never been to become an artist. I LOVE art! It is in my blood, it is a need and my passion, but never have I wanted to be a practicing artist. My true aspiration is to be an Art therapist working with children and individuals with special needs. This has always been my love and main focus!
With only a couple months left in the term, and no real solid direction, I decided (thanks to a push from my prof) to go a completely different direction. I was tired, frustrated and really just longing for something fun! I needed to do something I really loved so that I would be motivated enough to pull off something awesome in the time remaining of my undergrad.
hence why I am now doing……
***NERD ALERT***
![]() |
| "Pikachu", painted clay figure, 22x20in, Tiya Sisson, 2013 |
POKÉMON!!!!!
I am interested in presenting contemporary artist Takashi Murakami's, theory of "Superflat" through my work. "Superflat" places an emphasis on surface, flat planes of colour, and crisp shapes/forms, referencing 2-D Japanese cultural imagery, such as manga and anime.
For my thesis project I will now be creating two 30 x 20in sculptures, one of Charmander and the other of Squirtle, giving life to these normally 2-D creatures through sculpture. Referencing "Superflat," I will be modelling the Pokémon's posses after iconic historical sculptures, such as Rodin's "The Thinker" and "Atlas". Once completed the two sculptures will be treated with an all over treatment of either bronze or gold (either paint or gold/bronze leaf).
![]() |
| "The Thinker" Auguste Rodin http://www.musee-rodin.fr/en/collections/sculptures/thinker |
My pieces will focus on the "flattening" or purposeful combination of opposites in an attempt to lessen the divide and blur the lines between the two extremes.
By turning these characters into sculptures I am bringing low class common place objects, the Pokémon, into the high class arena of the art world to be criticized and examined by a select portion of society.
Through posing the Pokémon as these well known historical sculptures, I am flattening the lines between old and new.
Finally, by covering the sculptures head to toe in either gold or bronze, the Pokémon copies will be referencing their historical counterparts, whose construction was typically made of bronze (which is both strong and expensive).
![]() |
| "Atlas" |
However, my sculptures will be made out of clay, which is incredibly fragile. They will appear to be bronze or gold, but in reality that will only be thanks to the modern and cheaper alternative of acrylic paint (or potentially gold leaf).
Hopefully I am able to pull it off and that I will be the creator of some super fun and cool Pokémon sculptures!
I hope you all are super excited for the show and like getting to know our crazy/eclectic group of artists.
- Tiya Sisson



No comments:
Post a Comment