Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Blurred images

I believe a blurred image has the power to attract the audience’s attention to the subject. Blurred images make the viewer unconsciously integrate their imagination with the subject. Blurring has the power to make a mundane subject feel extraordinary and I want to explore this effect with my artworks. 

Untitled (9. Jan. 2000) - Gerhard Richter

Gerhard Richter is an artist who, I think, is one of the masters of  blurring. He is known for his abstract paintings, using cumulative layers of  paint. I like his paintings with blurs and smudges that are severe enough to disrupt the image, but which still allow the subject to be recognizable. He blurs things to make everything equally important and equally unimportant. His blur integrates the composition and takes out excess or unimportant information. I believe this artwork is a good example of how blurring can strongly appeal to the viewer. My artwork is driven by acknowledging the beauty of seeing the world with my poor vision. Similar to Gerhard Richter's blur, I create unfocused and impaired images that render ordinary subjects unfamiliar.

Untitled (10. Dec. 1999) - Gerhard Richter


No comments:

Post a Comment