Friday, February 14, 2014

Love, Art & The Kiss

Today is February 14th. Happy Valentine's Day everyone!

Valentine's day is all about love. Actually, I'd argue chocolate might be a larger theme... back on track. Since today is the big V-day, I decided to look into a few artworks called "The Kiss". Most of the artworks I go through are captioned by art critiques, since I'm no expert, so please correct me if any interpretations seem off.

The Kiss - Edvard Munch



Love is a famous sculpture by American Pop artist Robert Indiana. There are several versions, at the Indianapolis Museum of Art, Philadelphia Museum of Art and the one above located in New York City, USA. The original design was actually for a Christmas card (1964) for the Museum of Modern Art. The design has also been reproduced countless times in popular culture.


The Kiss - Gustav Klimt


The painting displays an embracing couple, surrounded by patterns in the robes. The style was influenced by the arts and crafts movement and Art Nouveau. The mediums are oil and gold leaf on canvas.



The Kiss – Auguste Rodin


This time the kissing theme is explored by sculptor Rodin – The Kiss. This marble sculpture was created by Rodin in 1889. The concept for the sculpture originated from a relief in Rodin’s The Gates of Hell. The sculpture stirred controversy because of the erotic imagery, and first wasn’t considered appropriate for public viewing. The sculpture now appears at the Musée Rodin in Paris, France.



No comments:

Post a Comment