I thought to myself, what do we all need right now? I'm guessing everyone is knee deep in homework assignments and projects. Want to know why? Because reading week is a trap. You think you have a week off to get stuff done and take a breather, but in reality you're not going to get near as much done as you planned and you'll end up falling behind and trying to catch up. I apologize if you were completely studious and actually did everything you needed to get done over reading week (if this is true I would like to have a chat with you and pick your brain about your motivational habits).
What everybody needs right now is this list:
Turn the vibration off on your cell phone when it is on silent. It sounds nuts, but check your phone when you feel like it and not when it alerts and nags at you. Take control. When it isn't badgering you, it is easier to think with a clear mind and concentrate.
Make a list. Write things down. Sometimes it is better to make smaller lists instead of one big one as to not overwhelm you, but regardless it's easier to keep it all straight when things get hectic.
Write in a journal. Any nasty resentment or hurt feelings you have. Once you write them down and get them out of your system you'll feel much better. Then you never have to look at them again and you can let it go.
Stop wearing pants when you're alone. They're so restricting and uncomfortable.
Don't make excuses (I'm the worst at this).
Laugh with strangers.
Make art for you. I started to forget why I chose a fine arts program in the first place. Then I was only making art for the grade and for other people. Doing that doesn't make me happy, making art for ME makes me happy. So when you're working hard finishing all your beautiful pieces for the show, remember that you're doing it for you.
Call your Grandparents.
Check out this link:
http://www.thisiscolossal.com/2014/02/photographs-and-watercolors-merge-in-surreal-paintings-by-aliza-razell/
Sing out loud (whether you're good at it or not).
Last but not least:
Embrace Art School. If you're not planning on being an artist after graduation, this could be the last time in your life that you have very specific time set aside in your week JUST for making art.
My inspiration comes from Northern Ontario. My time spent there makes me extremely happy and I would like to share some photos with you that really motivate me.
This is my Dad. I swear to god I took this picture when he sat down for a rest. He wasn't posing. He is a huge part of my inspiration because he is always ready to go on an adventure with me. Without him, I would not have experienced Northern Ontario as much as I have. 

It is a very beautiful place, and I fully encourage you (my fellow artists) to try and visit after graduation.


No comments:
Post a Comment