I am starting out the semester fresh. I will be sticking with the same concepts and interests as last term, but using a different medium. Unfortunately my last-term endeavours have not been successes, but this term I will be going "back to my roots" and will be working with a print medium, on paper, as well as on fabric. An artist that has recently come to my attention is Yinka Shonibare and his traditional historical and formal fashions, which are done in post-modern-patterened fabrics.
![]() |
| Yinka Shonibare How to Blow up Two Heads at Once, (Ladies), 2006. |
I like how Shonibare mixes traditional roles, materials, methods, or subjects, with modern ideals with the roles of masculinity and femininity. Clint Neufeld doesn't use the same materials or subjects that I do, but he does work with concepts of masculine identity through satirical sculptures. This is done through his use of feminine patterns and bases of his works, counterbalanced by the engines and machine parts that traditionally only males were exposed to.
![]() |
| Clint Neufeld http://www.artnau.com/2012/04/clint-neufeld/ |
![]() |
| Clint Neufeld (detail) http://www.artnau.com/2012/04/clint-neufeld/ |
Using my own preferred methods and related interests, my pieces will explore gender identity, societal roles, and fashion.
Lauren J



No comments:
Post a Comment