Thursday, January 30, 2014

a Time to Reap, a Time to Sew.

Cabbage: there's more than boiling!  This fall and winter favourite is back in a big new way! Cabbage comes in a variety of stylish colours and styles, you're sure to find something that suits your taste. Whether it's the elegant savoy, refined red, and for those with simpler tastes the classic green, there's something for everyone! Cabbage is the perfect compromise for those that are bored with rutabaga, but find cauliflower too extravagant.

"A cool-weather crop that can be raised for spring or fall harvest.  Cabbage is a good source of vitamin C"
-The Reader's Digest: Back to Basics

Have you already tried cabbage? Tell us what you think in the comments below!
The vegetable that's boldly facing a new frontier.
For the rest of the semester my work is going to focus on the transient nature of trends.  I'm going to show this by combining food and fashion and showing how they both go stale.  I'm working on three pieces each of which will be a piece of clothing popular in a different era, created from a food popular in that same time period.  The foods are french fries, bread and cabbage, but I'm currently most excited about the cabbage piece, a lot of this excitement comes from the thrill of putting the cabbage through a sewing machine.  The other part I'm really enjoying is the problem solving, particularly regarding constructing these pieces out of materials that get more fragile the more time passes.
 

1 comment: